Saturday, May 3, 2014

Good Riddance, Planet Weakness

Finally out of there, and on to greener pastures. Actually, blacker pastures, since the weights aren't purple and yellow at my new place.

Keeping it grim in the gym.

Now let me preface this by saying that I know PF has a horrible reputation in the powerlifting world, so I should have avoided it in the first place. But before I was bitten by the iron bug, I wasn't planning on getting in the gym 4-5 times a week to push up heavy weights. I wanted to get "in shape" by going maybe twice a week, doing some benching, dumbbells, and cardio. Now, I say death to cardio, give me some heavy fucking weights to move. So, that's my explanation as to why I went there in the first place. Essentially a stepping stone, and now that part of my life is over.

Moving on, my new gym is a small outfit in Milford, OH, called MAC (Miami Athletic Club). By no means is it a powerlifting gym, but they allow PL training there, so I'll take what I can get for the price I'm paying. My lifts were surprisingly higher than I expected them to be, hitting a 245 squat, 255 deadlift, and 165 bench. My squat on a smith machine (BLASPHEMY!) was at 200 lbs., and it was uncomfortable. Not a great range of motion when you're moving straight up and down on a track. I've never really had the pleasure of deadlifting for multiple sets, so it was sort of new to me. Felt good pulling it, though. Bench has always been a weak spot for me, so 165 wasn't too horrible. The last time I was under the bar, I was just doing 135 at 3x8. So I feel pretty great about it.

I sense that being able to move to this gym and hit the free bars is going to spike my gains, and I can't wait. Time to get some strength into these measly muscles and feel the power of the iron gods.

-Stay strong

No comments:

Post a Comment